Saturday, April 22, 2006

Don't Ya Dare Hold Nothin' Back...

So there's this thing and it's a promotional video for Virgin Digital music. It's a pretty cool little video that has references to a ton of popular songs from the last 50 years or so. I know that there are allusions that I am missing and they are pissing me off. I have noted about 25-odd different songs and some are questionable. I need your help. There are maybe 7 images that I can tell are allusions and cannot identify.

My list:
1. I Shot the Sheriff – Bob Marley or Eric Clapton
2. Tears In Heaven – Eric Clapton
3. Purple Rain - Prince
4. Message In a Bottle – The Police
5. Sitting On the Dock of the Bay-Otis Redding?
6. Sloop John B- The Beach Boys?
7. Free Bird- Lynard Skynard?
8. Magic Carpet Ride- Steppenwolf
9. Scarlet Begonias-The Grateful Dead?
10. Another Brick In the Wall – Pink Floyd
11. Seven Nation Army – The White Stripes
12. Dancing Queen - ABBA
13. Like a Rolling Stone – Bob Dylan
14. God Save The Queen-The Sex Pistols
15. Hotel California – The Eagles
16. White Rabbit-Jefferson Airplane
17. Smoke Two Joints-Bob Marley
18. Tiny Dancer- Elton John
19. Piano Man-Billy Joel
20. Blue Suede Shoes-Elvis Presley
21. I am the Walrus – The Beatles
22. Fat-Bottomed Girls-Queen/American Woman-The Guess Who?
23. Atomic Dog-George Clinton
24. Video Killed the Radio Star – The Buggles

The soundtrack to this adverstisement is performed by Serena Ryder, a fairly unremarkable young musician who probably won't amount to anything. I am pretty unimpressed by the majority of her music, but the song on this video, "Sing Sing", is pretty damn good. It's also only about 40 seconds long and I am saddened that such a good song is so short. Still, it is good enough that it made it onto the sidebar of this blog.

Back to my Mark Twain paper...

2 Comments:

Blogger James Naismith said...

Police and Thieves - The Clash
Where the Streets Have No Name - U2
I, Me, Mine - The Beatles
Rock Music - The Pixies
Pink Moon - Nick Drake
Rodeo Clowns - Jack Johnson
Werewolves of London - Warren Zevon
Parachutes - Coldplay
We Are the Champions - Queen (maybe not)

4:14 AM  
Blogger jw said...

I have some doubt about I, Me, Mine. That figure just says Me, Myself, and I on the name tags. I have no idea what else it could be.

I thought of We are the Champions too, but I felt really unsure of it. I was also wondering about the weird bird guy on the surf board and why the fella who was "sittin on the dock of the bay" was dressed like a pimp.

But good job on Clash, U2, Zevon, and (probably) Coldplay.

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home