Thursday, April 05, 2007

In case anyone asks you...

Blind Bluesmen (in order of how blind they were)
1. Blind Arthur Blake
2. Blind Boy Fuller
3. Blind Lemon Jefferson
4. Blind Willie Johnson
5. Blind Willie McTell
6. Blind Mississippi Morris

Best Blues Nicknames
(in order of how much I like their music)

1. "Mississippi" Fred McDowell
2. Huddie "Leadbelly" Ledbetter
3. "Lightnin'" Hopkins
4. McKinley "Muddy Waters" Morganfield
5. Chester "Howlin' Wolf" Burnett
6. Edward "Duke" Ellington
7. "Sleepy" John Estes
8. "Cripple" Clarence Lofton
9. Walter "Furry" Lewis

You may be wondering what's so awesome about "Mississippi" Fred McDowell. His nickname is awesome because he's from Tennessee. And he "do not play no rock and roll, y'all, just the straight natural blues...The only way to rock old Fred, you got to put him in a rocking chair."

I often fantasize about albums featuring one or more of these artists. The Blind Blues Sextet would be awesome. So would an album called Sleepy Wolf Waters or one called Sleepy Lightnin'. But they're all dead and this can only happen in my head, I guess. If I'm ever in a band, I'd call it Mississippi Furry Cripple. My nickname would be Alabama Monkey Cheese and I'd play just the straight and natural blues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home