Sunday, October 21, 2007

What Will Be, Will Be

Aunt Trudy's organic baklava in a box is not very good. It lacks the moisture essential to a good piece of baklava. That moisture is a sticky little something I like to call honey. We're not romantically involved, I assure you. I call it honey because that is its name. I have an Aunt Honey also. She's very nice, but won't return my calls. She is not essential to a good piece of baklava. The baklava was suitably flaky, but without moisture, it was like eating a huge lump of scabs. Scabs. With a wad of ground nuts at the center.
C-

Jones Soda Company has made many mistakes. Their root beer is the worst I have tasted. They discontinued my once-favorite beverage, the Pineapple-Upside Down Soda. They also make limited edition seasonal sodas that taste like certain seasonal foods, like turkey, regurgitated and carbonated. Today, a coworker was kind(?!) enough to give me an eight-ounce can of Jones Candy Corn soda. In eight ounces, Candy Corn soda packs a whopping thirty-two grams of sugar and ton of yellow dye. At first taste, it is merely palettable. At second, it is barely so. At third, it is nearly so. And so it goes. After eight ounces, I can happily say I will never drink that fluorescent, effervescent, putrescent shit ever again. I can say, with great certainty, that Jones has successfully canned and marketed the urine of diabetics.
D+

Jessica and I continued our tour of Chicago by wine. We've sampled Kenwood, Ravenswood, and Blackstone Cabernet Sauvignons. We will steer clear, however, of anything named Calumet Heights. Those we've tried have all been more or less delicious. I know nothing about wine except whether it tastes good or not at a particular moment and these were all basically good while I was drinking them, I guess. I'm not afraid to say that they beat the hell out of Candy Corn Soda. Also, I must note that none of these wines have any connection to Chicago aside from the fact that they were purchased and consumed there, and that the wineries each bear the name of a Chicago street and/or neighborhood. That's all that motivates us to buy them and that's all that motivates us to drink them.
A trio of ambivalent A-'s

Buffalo burgers are delicious. Native Americans knew what was going on. I would eat a buffalo right now, if I saw one. I would probably like to eat a bear, too. And an ostrich.
A

Also, I kind of like listening to Sophia Loren singing. I just NetFlixed Houseboat (1958). I am sure my roommates will be thrilled.

Que sera sera...
whatever will be, will be...
the future's not ours to see...

Que sera sera...

2 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

Buffalo meat is my BFF4EVA.

I went to a "yarn tasting" last Friday (I'm serious) and now I am the proud owner of a very small amount of yarn made from buffalo fiber. This makes me feel native. Not very native, though. I'm not ready to use a buffalo bladder as a water bag.

Oh, did you know Nalgene's Lexan bottles apparently give you cancer?

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boiled potatoes are an underrated source of college diet. A+ for every potato I have eaten in the last two months.


OLGZ

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home